Joy Cafe, Churchill Gardens, Boscombe
Joy Cafe, Churchill Gardens, Boscombe, BH1 4HB is a lush little cafe . They really love their community and are all about bringing people together to enjoy great friendships, food & fun. Located right in the heart of Boscombe and in the corner of a beautiful, green square complete with kids play area, allotment and large grassy area, this cafe has been designed to be a place of community to the surrounding houses, a place where kids can play safely and parents and carers can connect over great coffee and delicious food and of course Chess on Wednesday Mornings between 10am and Noon.
Joy Café Chess Competition 2020 Rules
- Entry confirmed by 10:15 8/1/20.
- All competition games usually played every Wednesday morning (10:00-12:00), Joy Café, Churchill Gardens, BH1 4HB.
- While we should have enough chess equipment on site, could those with a competition size board and pieces please bring them along if they are able to.
- We have one mechanical chess clock so please could competitors bring their own chess clock (whether mechanical or e.g. the ChessClock app)
- ‘Basic’ chess rules will apply. I propose these include the chess clock placed on the right of the board from black’s perspective, operate clock with same hand as piece is moved, the ‘en passant’ rule, ‘touch a piece, move a piece’ (including touch the King first to castle), before adjusting any piece on its square (only during your move) say ‘adjust’, ability to offer a draw while it is your move and (I propose for simplification) the same board position occurring three times gives rise to a draw and no need to record any moves.
- Players and spectators should not make any comment, ‘distract’ or ‘annoy’ (to adopt Eric Schiller’s formulation in the Rules of Chess) during games.
- Each player to play two games (one as white and one as black) against every other player during the competition, two games per week against the same person; so this year’s competition will take the form of a league.
- Who plays who will be determined by draw (prioritizing competitors in attendance on the day) as close to 10am as we can make it.
- All competition games on the clock: each player having 30 minutes each per game – maximum duration for each game – 1 hour.
- Scores to be notified to Steve (1 point for win, 0.5 for draw, 0 for loss) as soon as possible after each two games have been played. The score of each result (including results by default) will count within the competition ‘league’ table so e.g. one win and one draw for X against Y will score 1.5 for X and 0.5 for Y.
- If a player cannot attend any particular Wednesday they should please notify Steve in advance (by text if you use a mobile phone) no later than 10:00 on the Wednesday morning in question. That match may be re-scheduled: by default the following Wednesday morning or (and only with the other player’s consent – the player who didn’t attend please taking the initiative) at Joy Café, any other location or online during the week following the missed Wednesday.
- Players who miss a Wednesday morning without notifying Steve in advance will forfeit their designated games on that Wednesday 2v0.
- Players who miss two Wednesday mornings (whether or not notified in advance) will forfeit both their available points on any subsequent Wednesday they miss. This means that e.g. a competitor who knows or expects to have to miss three or four Wednesdays (even including Wednesday 8th January) can still participate in the competition but will only have their games re-scheduled on the first two Wednesdays they miss.
- When all results have been scored in accordance with these rules, any tied place will be determined by which player won the most games during the competition (whether by play or default). If, the top two places are still tied first and second place will be determined by a further two games played between these top players on the following Wednesday morning (subject to the above).
- If you have supplied Steve with an email-address he will endeavour to send you the results of each game and an updated competition table week by week.
- Any questions arising as to the interpretation of these rules to be determined by the person who dreamed these up; allowing a non-binding appeal to whoever might be willing to take on that role!
- Food and drink may be consumed during games. Enjoy!